March 21, 2011

See You Later Aligator


There are some days in our lives that will always be etched in your memory and heart. Feb 24th will forever be a day that we will remember with sadness, but also a day to reflect great feelings of love and joy for our special little nephew Landon. Understanding God's plan is not always easy, but I know that he knows better than we do why things happen and how they will impact our lives.

When we heard the news that Landon was gone, I instantly felt such heartache and shock. When we learned that Landon had probably passed away in his sleep, the first thing I thought was that Heavenly Father must have really wanted this sweet little angel back at home with him. It feels like a little piece of our hearts is missing right now, but it is easier to try and focus on how a wonderful and sweet little boy has enriched and filled our lives with special memories and a sweet and pure example of love.

When we carefully told the kids what had happened, it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. They were all confused and then heartbroken . I think Hadley took it the worst. She and Landon were so close in age and they had a sweet little relationship. They loved to dress up together and they could play together for hours while speaking their own little jibber jabber language that the two of them could understand perfectly.

Landon had just celebrated his 5th Birthday on Feb 5th. He had a big Birthday party with all his friends and family.It was a blast. All the cousins bounced in the bounce house for about an extra hour together after the party was over. This is a memory I will hold dear for forever. They were having so much fun. Landon had also almost finished his first season of baseball. He loved baseball!!

As I reflect on so many things about that day, I really know that God works in mysterious ways.
A few weeks earlier Dave had hurt his wrist during a training at work. He only hurt it bad enough to be sent to another fire station where he could still work, but only do light duty. It turns out that Dave's normal station was the crew and shift that were the first responders to Landon's house during that tragic day. Landon had been staying at Kyle's because Kari was out of town. I can only imagine how devastating it would have been to Dave to have been there trying to help save Landon's life. Dave had never been to Kyle's house, so he wouldn't have known where he was going. It does bring me great comfort to know that Dave's closest friends and Co-workers were the last one's with him. It always brings tears to my eye's when I think about this. Thank you god, for your sweet mercies.

Kari and Kyle held a memorial service for Landon on March 5, 2011, where we celebrated Landon's life and reflected on his TRUE KNOWLEDGE AND LOVE FOR CHRIST. I have never met a kid who loved Jesus more!!Kari and Kyle wrote a very special and heartfelt letter that was read during the service. I hope I can get a copy of it and share it, because I know I will need to refer back to it when there is a day that we are really missing him more than normal. The service was so uplifting, and left me with a feeling of joy and gave us time to focus on Landon and brought comfort to the deep pain. After the service was over all the kids released special balloons that said " See you later Alligator" on one side and the I love you sign in sign language on the other. This was the phrase and sign that Landon gave to his mom and dad when they would part ways. The balloon release was so sweet and it also , reminded me of the time that Landon and Hadley released balloons together with their pacifiers attached to them when they were giving them up. People used to ask Kari and I if they were twins. They were only 5 months apart. It was too long though before Landon was passing Hadley up.


We miss and think about Landon everyday. There isn't a prayer in our house during dinner or bedtime, where he is not mentioned. We miss you!!

This has been a great loss for Kari , Kyle and Campbell and for our whole family, but I am truly amazed at the strength and pure love of Christ that has been reflected especially through Kari and her commitment to understand and feel God's plan. I know that he is wrapping his arms around all of us right now.

Here is the video that Ryan & Kari and I helped put together for Landon's service.



This are two of my favorite pictures of Landon and


No comments: