This morning heaven gates opened and welcomed one of the sweetest and funniest women I know. She was 90 years old and had lived a long good life. We were glad she is not in any pain anymore, but ache for the pain that our Grandpa Howard is feeling right now. I can't imagine how it feels to lose the love of your life after 72 years of marriage. They had just celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary. Grandma Lettie Rose Crausby mothered 5 children, 4 that lived. She had 3 sons and 1 daughter. One of which was my dad Raleigh Crausby, who is on the left in this photo.
I have so many fun memories of spending time with grandma and grandpa. Growing up we lived about 3 hours away but visited often. So some of my favorite memories are of spending time in their backyard playing in the pecan trees and eating fritos in grandma's kitchen and also the many family reunions we spent in the woods in Timpson,Texas at Aunt Margaret's house.
Grandma had a contagious laugh and silly personality. I would like to think my dad got his sense of humor from her.
Lettie and I drove to Artesia, New Mexico this weekend to come say our last goodbyes to grandma as she was in her last days. She wasn't able to talk to us, but we know she knows that we were there and that we LOVE her dearly and will miss her!! One of the hardest things I've had to do was say goodbye to her and to my sweet grandpa, knowing how heartbroken he will be without her.
The moment we arrived at my grandpa's house we were greeted with the biggest tear filled hug. Talk about pulling on your heart strings. Every time we would leave the hospital my grandpa would kiss my grandma goodbye and tears would stream from his face. I am so lucky to have been such a part of such a sweet and loving couples lives. It makes me realize TRUE LOVE stories do exist.
We were also able to see our Aunt Teresa and our cousin Tara. We realized it had been 8 years since we had seen everyone. Way too long. Tara is 4' 11'' tall, which is a funny comparison when Lettie and I were standing next to her. We had a wonderful time catching up with her and spending some quality time with grandpa. We spent hours asking grandpa questions about he and grandma and wanted to hear stories about their lives. I never realized that my grandma has always been blind out of her left eye. I just thought it happened with age.
We heard about places grandma and grandpa had lived and jobs that he held and funny stories about our dad. It was a sad but wonderful trip that I will always remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment